19 January 2010

Thank you for your blessings, she said

Yesterday was one of those days when you just have to stay loose. There is no other way to move through it. Because there was a total downpour here in San Diego (read: flooded roads, shops, homes) we left our bikes at home and journeyed out on foot. After bundling up and race-walking to the bus, we got to St. Paul's Cathedral with plenty of time to register for the Matthew Fox lecture that I was really looking forward to. Problem was, contrary to what the website said, Frances Moore Lappe was speaking at 1:00 FOLLOWED BY Matthew Fox at 3:00. I had a commitment to teach a mindfulness group at 4:00 and I didn't have any of my materials with me.

So, we hopped the bus back home. I got my mindfulness bell and a nice relaxing CD into a shoulder bag, added a pretty lotus sketch to a meditation by Thich Nhat Hanh, did the printing and cutting to have my handouts ready. I started out again at 3:30 (plenty of time for the trek) and within 3-4 blocks I was soaked through...water in my shoes, dripping from my pants...did I say "downpour"? Back home again for me... to make a call and cancel my group.

We had planned to have dinner in North Park and to attend a lecture on music marketing. We abandoned that plan. THEN...there was a break in the weather. We got our raingear back on, RAN for the bus...made it to Ranchos in time for a great dinner and then over to Old Time Music for a presentation by Bob Baker. On the way home, Jeff and I were chatting about new media, playing music, and marketing in general...

...when a woman with heavy bags and a cane who had boarded the bus after us, stood up and gathered her things, looked directly at us, and said "Thank you for your blessings."

We smiled all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment